Delicata squash are a delightful form of winter squash. As the name would suggest, the peel is edible, making these an easy vegetable to cook and enjoy. Enjoy these seasonal salad “boats” with the best of Northern Michigan fall produce.
Roasted Delicata Squash and Ginger Salad
•2 delicata squash (Local sources: Lakeview Hill Farm, Loma Farm, Spirit of Walloon)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 6 cups Baby Arugula (used Lakeview Hill Farm for this recipe)
• 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
• 1 apple (used Bakker’s Acres for this recipe)
Ingredients for Ginger Dressing
• 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon tahini paste
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon honey (Local Sources: Bear Creek Organic Farm, Champion Hill Farm, Sleeping Bear Farms)
• 1 tablespoon baby ginger (Local Sources: Lakeview Hill Farm or Open Sky Organic Farm)
• Splash of water (to adjust desired thickness)
• Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut the delicata squash in half, cut the stems off the end, and scoop out the seeds.
- Coat the squash with olive oil (canola or sunflower oil will work too). Place the squash with the cut side up on a baking sheet. Salt and pepper as desired and place in the oven for 30 minutes (or until squash is tender all the way through).
- Meanwhile, prepare your salad while the squash is cooking. For the dressing: Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend together.
- Slice up your apple, and toss with the arugula, goat cheese and salad dressing is a small bowl.
- Take squash out of oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, pour the desired amount of salad directly over the squash.
Bailey Samp is the Local Food Coordinator for NW MI and co-owns Lakeview Hill Farm with her partner John in Leelanau County. Contact her at email@example.com to help source your favorite Fall vegetables!