Forget the mushy, flavorless green beans of the past. Try out this recipe for zippy, crisp beans! Our dietetic intern, Mieko Diener, prepared this dish at a recent cooking demo at the Pittsfield Township Farmers Market.
1 lb. green beans, washed and trimmed
1 cup water
1 TBL olive oil
1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped
A pinch of red chili flakes, or more to taste
Zest of one lemon
- Put the green beans and water into a medium sized skillet with a pinch of salt over medium-high heat and cover.
- Once the water boils, steam for two minutes. The green beans should be bright green and tender. Drain excess water using the lid to keep beans in the pan.
- Return the beans to the heat and make a clearing in the middle to pour in the olive oil and add garlic and chili flakes. Toss to coat and sizzle until fragrant, about another minute.
- Remove from heat and zest lemon rind onto the beans. (if you don’t have a fine grater, carefully slice off the lemon peel with a paring knife; avoiding the bitter, white pith as much as possible, then chop it into thin slices.)
- Sprinkle with a little salt to taste then serve.
Mieko Diener is our Dietetic Intern from the University of Michigan School of Public Health.
Find more great stories here.