• 500 million plastic straws are thrown away EVERY DAY in the United States alone.
• 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic debris are in the ocean.
• 100 million marine animals are killed annually due to plastic debris in their habitat.
That’s where one reusable glass straw is making a difference.
Strawesome makes high quality glass straws in the USA because #plasticsucks. Made using the same type of glass used to make Pyrex products, these glass straws offer a reusable option to plastic.
In 2009, Daedra and Brian Surowiec started Strawesome with a mission to eliminate the need for single use plastic drinking straws. After a few lessons in torchwork from friends in Dearborn, Daedra launched this durable, decorated straw business. To make the straws, they begin with glass tubing of different colors and widths that they then cut to size. The ends are torched to create smooth edges. Bends to the straw and additional decorations made of colored borosilicate glass are then added.
Check out this video to see the process from start to finish!
Today, Strawesome is a family affair with their two sons involved in the packaging and sales of the straws. The family regularly attends art fairs, such as Plymouth, Ann Arbor, Brighton, and Milford art fairs, to personally vend their products. Though, their products are available online and ship nationwide!
These functional pieces of artwork make great gifts for friends, family, and even yourself. As part of their commitment to sustainability, they even have “Glass Straws for a Cause” that share a portion of their proceeds to support conservation organizations, such as the Shedd Aquarium, the Sea Turtle Conservancy, Save the Whales, and more.
Where to Buy your Strawesome Straw
Head to strawesome.com to find your favorite color, width, and size straw. They ship worldwide and have even supplied cruise lines and restaurants in other countries. Palate restaurant in Milford even serves all drinks with their glass straws!
Plus, Strawesome straws are sold through a number of Michigan retailers:
• Edson Farms Deli & Market in Traverse City
• ACE Barnes Hardware in Ann Arbor
• BYOC in Ann Arbor
• Frame Works in Plymouth (Coming Soon!)
• Glass Academy in Dearborn
• Vibe Well in Fenton
• Modern Natural Baby in Ferndale
• Uptown Coffee House in Howell
• Town Peddler Craft & Antique Mall in Livonia
• The Clothing Cove/Tenacity in Milford
• Raw Organic Juice Bar in Novi
• Clean Refillery in Lansing
• Herbs, Etc in Mount Pleasant
• Apothecary Gift Shop in Holland
• Bodhi Tree Juice Co. in Grand Haven
• Grandpa Shorter’s Gift Shop in Petoskey
• Hathaway Cottage Gift Shop in Allegan
• The Butler Pantry in Saugatuck
• Front Porch Gift Shop in Suttons Bay
• Schuler Books & Music in Grand Rapids
• Kalamazoo Candle Company in Kalamazoo
• Kalamazoo Institute of Arts in Kalamazoo
How to use your glass straw
Strawesome glass straws are portable and surprisingly very durable (they have replaced less than 3% of straws in the last 12 years!), so take them wherever you go. Plus, they are also great to use at home with your favorite beverages. Here are some delicious, local ways to use your Strawesome straw:
Strawesome is a Michigan company dedicated to reducing plastic use in the world. Learn more about Strawesome at strawesome.com Find more videos on how they make their straws on their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bestrawesome
This article is a paid sponsorship by Strawesome.
Emma Beauchamp is the Communications Manager for Taste the Local Difference.
Find more great stories here.