Taste the Local Difference Summer 2018 Internship Opportunity
About Taste the Local Difference:
Taste the Local Difference® is Michigan’s local food marketing agency. It is a social enterprise of the Groundwork Center for Resilient Communities.
TLD helps food businesses and the communities they serve benefit from the economic value of local food, while ensuring that fresh, healthy, local food is available to all consumers.
Internship Dates: June 15th – August 15th
Compensation: $1,500 Stipend
Location: Traverse City Office
The Local Food and Events Intern is responsible for providing support to the CEO and NW Michigan Local Food Coordinator. Intern must express a strong commitment to the Taste the Local Difference mission, have the ability to work independently and on a team. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are necessary to fill this role. 20-25 hours a week will be expected and flexibility to work evenings and weekends is required. The stipend will be disbursed in 2 monthly increments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications & Promotions
• Assist Local Food Coordinator & Communications Manager by taking photos and helping promote events on social media.
• Create content for the Local Food Companion Blog & Newsletter
Weekly Retail Visits & Local Food Demonstrations
• Complete regular visits to partner stores to keep inventory of new local products and update signage, shelf-talkers, etc.
• Complete Local Food Tastings at retail locations as needed.
• Assist in tabling and attending events throughout the summer representing TLD, including but not limited to: Local Farmers Markets, Pop-up Brunch during Cherry Festival, 6-week farmers market at Great Lakes Equestrian Festival, and Traverse City Film Festival
• Assist Local Food Coordinator with local sourcing forms
• Communicate with vendors at events and handle questions about the certification and their role.
Guide to Local Food Distribution
• Complete weekly distribution routes
• Help create and organize a long-term distribution plan for the NW region
• Develop surveying tools and administer as needed
• Update local food database to ensure accuracy
The deadline to apply for this position is April 20th, 2018. Please send your resume and cover letter to Bailey Samp at email@example.com.